Sunday, July 24, 2011

"And how Death is that remedy all singers dream of, sing/ remember, prophesy"(10)




Amy Jade Winehouse (14 September 1983 – 23 July 2011)

I loved Amy Winehouses' music. I thought she did such a great job of expressing emotion with her voice. I believed the words that she sang. I'd been waiting for her next album forever. I felt guilty buying the recent Adele album because I really wanted Amy's next album. I know many or maybe most people will not be surprised to hear that she's dead of a drug overdose, but I am. I'm surprised. I'm saddened. I had such a celebrity crush on Amy Winehouse. I had unending optimism for Amy. I always wanted to believe she was getting better. I tried to avoid all those horrible pictures. Maybe she just doesn't photograph well, I thought. Some people just feel too much or have been exposed to too much, and buffer themselves in altered states. It's hard not to see a death like this as a suicide. It's cliched to say, but I hope she finds some peace in death that she didn't seem to have in life.

          Ai ! ai ! we do worse ! We are in a fix ! And you're out, Death
                     let you out, Death had the Mercy, you're done with your
                     century, done with God, done with the path thru it-
                     Done with yourself at last – Pure – Back to the Babe
                     dark before your Father, before us all – before the
                     world -
          There, rest. No more suffering for you. I know where you've gone, it's good.(67-74)

Allen Ginsberg, “Kaddish for Naomi Ginsberg 1894-1956” Kaddish and Other Poems: 1958-1960 City Lights Press, 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment